Whiskers at Work Program
HSLM is closed to the public for adoptions. Emergency pet surrenders, please call: 519-451-0630 x232.
HSLM staff continue to maintain our shelter operations and provide care to the animals in our facility.
While most cats enjoy living in a home, there are certain felines who are surrendered to HSLM that are not suited for this type of lifestyle. This is why the HSLM Whiskers at Work Program was established. Adoption through the HSLM Whiskers at Work Program offers a safe and happy life for these felines.
These cats range in temperament from feral to friendly, preferring the freedom and independence which consists of indoor/outdoor living arrangements.
Please be advised that HSLM is not recruiting cats to add to our Whiskers at Work Program. This program was launched to provide homes for cats who are already in our care.
Whiskers at Work Program Caretaker Applicant Requirements:
- Must be willing to provide shelter (a permanent heated building or structure like a barn, warehouse, stable or garage where they will be safe), food, water and veterinary care to cat(s) as needed.
- Applicant must be committed to long-term care of cat(s) and not simply seeking a short-term solution.
- Someone must live on the property or check in with the cat(s) on a daily basis.
- If dogs live on the property, they must not have a high prey drive or history of injuring cats or squirrels.
Please note that HSLM will not be held liable if your Whiskers at Work cat(s) are ineffective at their assigned job of “mouser."
There is no adoption fee for a Whiskers at Work cat, however a donation towards the medical care of other cats in this program is much appreciated, as HSLM is a non-profit, charitable organization and receives no government funding.
Adoption of a Whiskers at Work Cat includes:
- Spay or neuter
- Flea treatment with revolution
- Initial vaccinations
- Initial de-worming
- Rabies vaccination
- 30 days of Pet Insurance (some exceptions)
- 7 day supply of food
- Any additional tests or treatments will be outlined in the medical record
- Fill out a HSLM Whiskers at Work Program Caretaker Application
- Your application preferences will be cross-referenced with available cats in our care
- If there are no Whiskers at Work cat(s) available, your application will be kept on file
- Applicants are requested to pick up your Whiskers at Work cat(s) within 48 hours of being contacted that they are ready