Humane Society London & Middlesex (HSLM) is a non-profit charitable organization that improves the lives of animals in our community by providing temporary shelter and appropriate new families for unwanted, abandoned, abused or neglected animals. We are currently hiring a Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) position to join our Animal Health Team.
As an RVT, you will work as a member of the Animal Health Team responsible for assisting staff with all aspects of shelter health and wellness including preventative care, treatment, and daily monitoring of various animal factors including daily rounds. You will also be responsible for the physical health and mental well being of animals housed in the building.
Humane Society London & Middlesex offers paid training, health benefits, uniform budget and a supportive work environment
- Perform daily rounds – ensuring that the 5 freedoms are being met for each individual animal. This includes both the medical and behavioural components of animal health and well being.
- Aid in the early identification of illness or infectious disease and implement isolation protocols accordingly and organizing urgent veterinary care when necessary.
- Provide a high level of nursing care in the shelter, monitor post operative patients, administer medications through veterinary guidance and protocol.
- Conduct intake exams; identifying abnormal signs and triage to ensure animals are receiving veterinary care in a timely manner, Completing intake vaccinations and treatments.
- Ensure biosecurity protocols are understood and being followed.
- Updating our animal database to ensure accuracy and completeness of animal health records.
- Working with foster families and in shelter volunteers.
- Coaching and mentoring shelter staff to maintain standards of care based on Shelter protocols.
- Monitoring various animal needs daily.
- Administering or oversee treatments as prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Notifying Director of Operations of any health problems or concerns regarding the animals.
- Communicating regularly with Shelter Manager and Adoption Services.
- Innovatively brainstorming with Director of Operations to determine health and wellness related budgetary needs for the shelter.
- Following policies and procedure of Humane Society London & Middlesex.
- Immediately reporting all incidents of injury, property damage, absence of or failure of a protective device and/or equipment to the supervisor.
- Communicate regularly with partner clinics in the community regarding animal veterinary needs.
- Assess animal(s) health prior to adoption.
- Educate potential adopters on the medical needs of the animals prior to their adoption.
- Work closely with all departments of HSLM.
- Work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations.
- Additional duties as required.
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 50 lbs.
Hours of Work
This is a part-time and/or full-time position working up to 44 hours weekly depending on the candidate’s availability. Must be available to attend meetings and events during the evening and on weekends as needed.
- Graduated from an OAVT accredited or approved college and a member is good standing with the OAVT.
- Experience in a shelter or veterinary clinic setting
- Strong animal care and biosecurity knowledge.
- Knowledge of a variety of animals, animal behaviour and their care requirements, ideally in a heard environment is an asset.
- Exceptional verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to share information and provide feedback using adult learning principles.
- Self starter and ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be a team player with proven leadership skills and experience.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and adapt to change using strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must not have allergies limiting or affecting exposure to animals.
- Valid Ontario Driver’s license and reliable transportation with the ability to travel occasionally.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends, evenings and holidays.
Our team members are important to us. In exchange for your talent and expertise, HSLM provides a competitive compensation package including paid training, HSLM branded clothes, health benefits, an employee assistance program, life insurance, opportunities for professional development, regular team building, the opportunity to walk a dog or play with a cat on your lunch break, and a fun, supportive environment.
Location: 624 Clarke Rd., London, Ontario.
Terms of Employment: This is a Salary position working up to 44 hours per week.
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible.
Salary: Determined based on experience.
Humane Society London & Middlesex (HSLM) is an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates including men, women, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and Aboriginal peoples.
HSLM is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes, and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise us in a timely fashion of any accommodation measure which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addresses confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Given the volume of applications received, we will respond only to those candidates who are selected for interviews.
No drop-ins or phone calls please.
This opportunity will be posted until a qualified candidate is identified. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
To apply for this position, please upload your resume and cover letter to the form below and answer all three questions. Please note, as a fast turnaround is required, submissions will be reviewed prior to the posting’s close date.