HSLM is a charitable organization whose mission is to lead London and Middlesex in building a humane and compassionate community for all animals. We improve the lives of animals in our community by providing shelter and appropriate new families.
What are you looking for?
The Animal Care Attendant (ACA) works hands-on with the animals in the care of HSLM. In this role you will be responsible for daily care of our animals, feeding the animals and cleaning their environment, daily shelter cleaning duties and working closely with our RVTs supporting animal health care. At HSLM, our team members are challenged to uphold the highest standards and as a team, we strive to exceed all expectations. This position is a 6 month contract position with the possibility of being renewed based on good work performance.
ACA’s are responsible for maintaining effective animal care protocol and procedures for the animals housed within the shelter.
Essential functions include:
- General cleaning and disinfecting of premises and equipment.
- Animal nutrition and feeding.
- Monitoring individual animal health and enrichment.
- Accurate records management.
- Ensure infection control procedures are followed.
- Laundry and dishwashing duties.
- Daily shelter cleaning duties.
- Providing excellent customer service to the public and all team members.
Hours of Work
This is a part-time contract position, generally working Saturdays & Sundays and an availability to cover shifts throughout the week.
- The ability to have fun while working hard is a must.
- A genuine connection with animals.
- Certificate as Animal Care Attendant or good working knowledge of animal welfare practices is preferred.
- Able to lift 50 pounds, bend and crouch.
- Must be self-motivated with a high energy level.
- Critical thinking skills and the ability to problem solve are required.
- The ability to work within a team environment and take direction well.
- The ability to adhere to safety policies and maintain a solid personal safety record.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Read, write and speak English fluently.
Essential duties and working conditions
- Will be required to work weekends and statutory holidays as needed.
- Employment is conditional upon the ability to work around all species of animals safely.
At HSLM we appreciate that experience comes in many forms. If your experience is similar to what we are looking for, please consider applying.
Our team members are important to us. In exchange for your talent and expertise, HSLM provides a competitive compensation package including: paid training, a uniform allowance, HSLM branded clothes, an employee assistance program, opportunities for professional development, regular team building, the opportunity to walk a dog or play with a cat on your lunch break, and a fun, supportive environment.
Location: 624 Clarke Rd., London, Ontario
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
Hourly Rate: $15.50 to start
Humane Society London & Middlesex (HSLM) is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
HSLM is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes, and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise us in a timely fashion of any accommodation measure which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
To apply for this position, please upload your resume and cover letter to the form below and answer all three questions. Please note, this is an open position, submissions will be reviewed as they are received.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Given the volume of applications received, we will respond only to those candidates who are selected for interviews.
No drop-ins or phone calls please.