HSLM is a charitable organization whose mission is to lead London and Middlesex in building a humane and compassionate community for all animals. We improve the lives of animals in our community by providing shelter and appropriate new families. HSLM responds to and investigates calls related to abandoned, neglected and abused animals in London and the Counties of Elgin, Oxford, and Middlesex.
What you are looking for
If you are a high-energy person who enjoys supporting and planning events and understands the value of volunteers, consider a role as Events and Volunteer Coordinator with HSLM. This role is accountable for achieving established fundraising goals related to HSLM Signature Events and our Third Party Events. Volunteers are an integral part of the HSLM Team, assisting in the shelter and at events. This position will recruit, onboard and support our team of varied and dedicated volunteers. To be successful in this role the candidate must be strong at developing relationships, have proven project management capabilities, and enjoy a fast-paced role. At HSLM, our team members are challenged to uphold the highest standards and as a team, we strive to exceed all expectations.
The ideal candidate must have relevant education and at least 2 years’ experience managing events and/or volunteers. This is a busy role for an experienced professional with a passion for contributing to the goals of an established community-based charitable organization.
Hours of Work
This is a full-time position working up to 44 hours weekly. Must be available to attend meetings and events during the evening and on weekends as needed.
- A degree or diploma in a related field or commensurate experience
- 2-4 years of experience managing events and or volunteers
- Proven project management skills
- Ability to influence and/or motivate others with diplomacy and sound judgement
- Demonstrated group facilitation and leadership skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and Google GSuite.
- Experience with Volgistics or other volunteer management databases an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and is able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude while working under stress of tight deadlines
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and adapt to change using strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- The ability to have fun while working hard is a must.
- A genuine affinity for animals and the benefits of animal adoption.
Essential duties and working conditions
- Will be required to work evenings and weekends as needed, occasionally with limited notice
- Employment is conditional upon maintaining a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Employment is conditional upon the ability to work around all species of animals safely
At HSLM we appreciate that experience comes in many forms. If your experience is similar to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
Our team members are important to us. In exchange for your talent and expertise, HSLM provides a competitive compensation package including paid training, HSLM branded clothes, health benefits, an employee assistance program, life insurance, opportunities for professional development, regular team building, the opportunity to walk a dog or play with a cat on your lunch break, and a fun, supportive environment.
Location: 624 Clarke Rd., London, Ontario
Terms of Employment: Salaried position working up to 44 hours per week
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: Determined based on experience.
Humane Society London & Middlesex (HSLM) is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
HSLM is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes, and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise us in a timely fashion of any accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Given the volume of applications received, we will respond only to those candidates who are selected for interviews.
No drop-ins or phone calls please.
To apply for this position, please upload your resume and cover letter to the form below and answer all four questions before December 11, 2019. Please note, as a fast turnaround is required, submissions will be reviewed prior to the posting’s close date.