HSLM is a charitable organization whose mission is to lead London and Middlesex in building a humane and compassionate community for all animals. We improve the lives of animals in our community by providing shelter and appropriate new families. HSLM responds to and investigates calls related to abandoned, neglected and abused animals in London and the Counties of Elgin, Oxford, and Middlesex.
What we’re looking for
We are currently looking for a motivated and motivating person to join our team as Community Engagement and Volunteer Coordinator to provide expertise related to volunteer management and community relations. This role will work to enhance the quality of community relations and cultivate opportunities for the community to become supporters of HSLM. A focus on the development and enhancement of relationships with various organizations while providing leadership with all HSLM volunteers and student placement programs.
At HSLM, our team members are challenged to uphold the highest standards and as a team, we strive to exceed all expectations
The ideal candidate must have relevant education and at least 2 years’ experience managing volunteers in a charitable setting. This is a busy role for an experienced professional with a passion for contributing to the goals of an established community-based charitable organization.
Hours of Work
This is a full-time position working up to 44 hours weekly. Must be available to attend meetings and events during the evening and on weekends as needed.
- Provides oversight and direction to all aspects of volunteer management and programming including recruitment, scheduling, communication, and orientation.
- Develops and leads connectivity and outreach opportunities with community members, organizations, and businesses to enhance community engagement initiatives.
- Develops, implements and maintains policies and procedures related to recruitment, training, evaluation, recognition and succession planning for volunteer team.
- Provides leadership and support to staff with understanding and planning for volunteer roles.
- Coordinates volunteer recognition initiatives.
- Participates in various HSLM events, public relations and promotional activities.
- Is aware of and makes use of community resources.
- Is thoroughly familiar and ensures compliance with pertinent legislation, regulations, guidelines and HSLM policies.
- Attends staff meetings and other meetings as required.
- Trains and supervises students, volunteers and work placements as required.
- Gains and maintains a comprehensive knowledge of social and environmental issues related to animal welfare and development.
- Participates in public relations and promotional activities.
- A degree or diploma in a related field or commensurate experience
- 2-4 years of experience managing volunteers in a charitable setting
- Ability to influence and/or motivate others with strong send of diplomacy and sound judgement
- Demonstrated group facilitation and leadership skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and Google GSuite.
- Experience with Volgistics or other volunteer management databases an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and is able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and adapt to change using strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- The ability to have fun while working hard is a must.
- A genuine affinity for animals and the benefits of animal adoption.
Essential duties and working conditions
- Will be required to work evenings and weekends as needed, occasionally with limited notice
- Employment is conditional upon maintaining a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Employment is conditional upon the ability to work around all species of animals safely
At HSLM we appreciate that experience comes in many forms. If your experience is similar to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
Our team members are important to us. In exchange for your talent and expertise, HSLM provides a competitive compensation package including paid training, HSLM branded clothes, health benefits, an employee assistance program, life insurance, opportunities for professional development, regular team building, the opportunity to walk a dog or play with a cat on your lunch break, and a fun, supportive environment.
Location: 624 Clarke Rd., London, Ontario
Terms of Employment: Salaried position working up to 44 hours per week
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: Determined based on experience.
Humane Society London & Middlesex (HSLM) is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
HSLM is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes, and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise us in a timely fashion of any accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Given the volume of applications received, we will respond only to those candidates who are selected for interviews.
No drop-ins or phone calls please.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary expectations before November 14, 2019. Please note, as a fast turnaround is required, submissions will be reviewed prior to the posting’s close date.