Job Title: Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT)
Employer: Humane Society London & Middlesex
Location: 624 Clarke Rd., London, Ontario
Terms of Employment: Part time or full time. Shifts include weekends and holidays
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
Work Setting: Animal shelter
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Humane Society London & Middlesex is a non-profit charitable organization that improves the lives of animals in our community by providing temporary shelter and appropriate new families for unwanted, abandoned, abused or neglected animals. We are currently hiring an RVT position to join our Animal Health Team.
As a Registered Veterinary Technician, you will work as a member of the Animal Health Team responsible for assisting staff with all aspects of shelter health and wellness including preventative care, treatment, and daily monitoring of various animal factors including daily rounds. You will also be responsible for the physical health and mental well being of animals housed in the building.
Humane Society London & Middlesex offers paid training, health benefits for FT and PT positions, uniform budget and a supportive work environment
- Perform daily rounds – ensuring that the 5 freedoms are being met for each individual animal. This includes both the medical and behavioural components of animal health and well being.
- Aid in the early identification of illness or infectious disease and implement isolation protocols accordingly and organizing urgent veterinary care when necessary
- Provide a high level of nursing care in the shelter; establish and re-evaluate enrichment plans daily, monitor post operative patients, administer medications through veterinary guidance and protocol
- Conduct intake exams; identifying abnormal signs and triage to ensure animals are receiving veterinary care in a timely manner
- Ensure biosecurity protocols are understood and being followed
- Performing veterinary assessments for treatment needs of intake animals, organizing urgent veterinary care when necessary
- Completing intake vaccinations and treatments
- Updating our animal database to ensure accuracy and completeness of animal health records.
- Working with foster families and in shelter volunteers
- Coaching and mentoring shelter staff to maintain standards of care based on Shelter protocols
- Monitoring various animal needs daily
- Overseeing the preparation and administration of medications and vaccines under direction of veterinarian
- Administering or oversee treatments as prescribed by the veterinarian
- Notifying Director of Operations of any health problems or concerns regarding the animals
- Closely and regularly communicating with Supervisor Shelter Services
- Assisting shelter staff with humane care procedures
- Innovatively brainstorming with Director of Operations to determine health and wellness related budgetary needs for the shelter
- Following policies and procedure of Humane Society London & Middlesex
- Immediately reporting all incidents of injury, property damage, absence of or failure of a protective device and/or equipment to the supervisor
- Work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations
- Additional duties as required
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 50 lbs
- Graduated from an OAVT accredited or approved college and a member is good standing with the OAVT
- Experience in a shelter or veterinary clinic setting
- Strong animal care and biosecurity knowledge
- Knowledge of a variety of animals, animal behaviour and their care requirements, ideally in a heard environment is an asset
- Exceptional verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to share information and provide feedback using adult learning principles
- Self starter and ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Must be a team player with proven leadership skills and experience
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and adapt to change using strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Must not have allergies limiting or affecting exposure to animals
- Valid Ontario Driver’s license and reliable transportation with the ability to travel occasionally
- Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends and holidays
If you have a passion for animal welfare, please forward your resume and cover letter to SHarrison@LondonHumane.ca
This opportunity will be posted until a qualified candidate is identified. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Humane Society London & Middlesex (HSLM) is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates including men, women, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and Aboriginal peoples.
HSLM is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes, and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise us in a timely fashion of any accommodation measure which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addresses confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Given the volume of applications received, we will respond only to those candidates who are selected for interviews.
No drop-ins or phone calls please.