HSLM is a charitable organization whose mission is to lead London and Middlesex in building a humane and compassionate community for all animals. We improve the lives of animals in our community by providing shelter and appropriate new families.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Animal Health Coordinator is a key member of Humane Society London & Middlesex (HSLM) providing organizational support to the Registered Veterinarian Technicians on staff.
- Working with and supporting all Animal Health staff through regular and ongoing communication, documentation, performance management, coaching and conflict resolution.
- Foster a culture of open communication and collaboration through regularly scheduled meetings for members of the shelter.
- Ensure Health and Safety standards and requirements are maintained and regularly monitored for Registered Veterinarian Technicians.
- Maintain department records and metrics and provide reports as required by the Director of Operations.
- Develop and implement continuous improvement initiatives that focus on animal care and welfare, the customer service experience and other related processes.
- Responsible for financial management through the regular maintenance of department budgets, expenditures and providing financial data as required by the Director of Operations and or the Executive Director.
- Work closely with the Animal Health Department team, providing support daily and knowledge to ensure they have tools they need to provide the highest level of care for our animals.
- Assist in helping with general cleaning and disinfecting of premises and equipment. Feeding, bathing, grooming, exercising and general care of animals. Monitoring and documenting animal behavior. Laundry duties. Providing customer service to the public. Assisting with adoptions and inquires. Compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
The ideal candidate must have relevant education and or experience in a similar role. This is a busy role for an experienced professional with a passion for contributing to the goals of an established community-based charitable organization.
Hours of Work
This is a full-time position working up to 44 hours weekly. Must be available to attend meetings and events during the evening and on weekends as needed.
- University Degree or College Diploma in a related field is preferred but we are willing to accommodate for the right candidate.
- Previous Management experience.
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to work well with all members of an organization.
- Excellent communicator with proven verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and professional relationships with all team members, the public and while working under the stress of tight deadlines.
- Strong computer skills and experience using various software programs, including Microsoft Office and Google GSuite.
- Proven project management skills with the ability to influence and/or motivate others with diplomacy and sound judgement.
- Demonstrated group facilitation and leadership skills.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and is able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and adapt to change using strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- The ability to have fun while working hard is a must.
- A genuine affinity for animals and the benefits of animal adoption.
Essential duties and working conditions
- Will be required to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed occasionally with limited notice.
- Employment is conditional upon maintaining a valid G driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Employment is conditional upon the ability to work around all species of animals safely.
At HSLM we appreciate that experience comes in many forms. If your experience is similar to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
Our team members are important to us. In exchange for your talent and expertise, HSLM provides a competitive compensation package including paid training, HSLM branded clothes, health benefits, an employee assistance program, life insurance, opportunities for professional development, regular team building, the opportunity to walk a dog or play with a cat on your lunch break, and a fun, supportive environment.
Location: 624 Clarke Rd., London, Ontario.
Terms of Employment: After completion of 6 month contract this is a Salary position working up to 44 hours per week.
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible.
Salary: Determined based on experience.
Humane Society London & Middlesex (HSLM) is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
HSLM is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes, and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise us in a timely fashion of any accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Given the volume of applications received, we will respond only to those candidates who are selected for interviews.
No drop-ins or phone calls please.
To apply for this position, please upload your resume and cover letter to the form below and answer all three questions before July 15, 2020. Please note, as a fast turnaround is required, submissions will be reviewed prior to the posting’s close date.